What is Big data in Health?
Violeta R Avendaño M
FT, MSc Biostatistics
Currently there is talk about the potential of Big Data to transform clinical models into the provision of intelligent and efficient services. In the following infographic we present the main points of the previously published blog on the applications and benefits of Big Data in the health area.
1. Auffray C, Balling R, Barroso I, Bencze L, Benson M, Bergeron J, et al. Making sense of big data in health research: Towards an EU action plan. Genome Med [Internet]. 2016; 8 (1): 1–13. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1186/s13073-016-0323-y
2. Hermjakob, H., Yates, J, Lindsey, M, Ping P. Harnessing the Heart of Big Data. Physiol Behav. 2018; 176 (5): 139–48.
3. Gui H, Zheng R, Ma C, Fan H, Xu L. An architecture for healthcare big data management and analysis. Lect Notes Comput Sci (including Subser Lect Notes Artif Intell Lect Notes Bioinformatics). 2016; 10038 LNCS (February): 154–60.
4. Cyganek B, Graña M, Krawczyk B, Kasprzak A, Porwik P, Walkowiak K, et al. A Survey of Big Data Issues in Electronic Health Record Analysis. Appl Artif Intell. 2016; 30 (6): 497–520.
5. Rumsfeld JS, Joynt KE, Maddox TM. Big data analytics to improve cardiovascular care: Promise and challenges. Nat Rev Cardiol [Internet]. 2016; 13 (6): 350–9. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/nrcardio.2016.42
6. Mehta N, Pandit A. Concurrence of big data analytics and healthcare: A systematic review. Int J Med Inform. 2018; 114 (January): 57–65.
7. Ristevski B, Chen M. Big Data Analytics in Medicine and Healthcare. J Integr Bioinform. 2018; 15 (3): 1–5.
8. Pastorino R, De Vito C, Migliara G, Glocker K, Binenbaum I, Ricciardi W, et al. Benefits and challenges of Big Data in healthcare: An overview of the European initiatives. Eur J Public Health. 2019; 29: 23–7.